Have you seen this show? It's on HGTV at 3pm weekdays, and I try to catch it if I can. I love, love, love Candice Olsen's designs! How I would love to have a room designed by her! I drool over everything she does!
Here are several of her makeovers...
Bedroom Before: Bedroom After:
Dining Room Before:
Dining Room After:
Try to catch this show if you can - it's worth it!
We're kind of in this "limbo-time" between Christmas & New Years, where it feels like the holidays are semi-over, but we're not quite finished yet!
We had lots of wonderful family-time over the past few days! For Christmas Eve, my sister Sara & I made an Italian-style dinner using recipes from the Olive Garden. We made an appetizer of Spinach & Artichoke Dip with Italian bread and Chicken Castellina for the dinner entree. It was so yummy! (recipes can be found on Olive Garden's website)
And, of course, watching Avery open her gifts was the best part! Last year she was only 6 months old, so she didn't understand what was going on. This year she understood, but was pretty overwhelmed with all the chaos and excitement!
Her favorite - books! I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas too!
The January '08 issue of Real Simple had an article listing products or things that, according to them, don't ever disappoint.
So I thought I'd make my own list, just because I feel like it (and I might be slightly bored)...
Here goes!! (in no particular order and please pardon the randomness)
1. Favorite Cleaning Product - Spray N' Wash Dual Action This stuff get out almost anything! I haven't found a stain yet that it hasn't removed. It even removed a 2 year old blood stain on a pair of pants! Awesome stuff! 2. Favorite Shoes - My Clarks Privo sneakers Super comfy and stylish - love the pink & brown. My shoes are similar to these guys...
3. Favorite Christmas CD - At the moment it's Sarah Mclachlan's "Wintersong" My friend Rachel turned me on to this CD and I've been listening to it a lot over the past few days. It's very soulful and beautiful! 4. Favorite Book(s) - Anything by Ted Dekker. This guy know how to write! His novels and mostly suspense, thriller, mystery-type books that keep you on the edge of your seat!
Another one of my very favorite books is "Peace Like A River" by Leif Enger. I love his writing style and read this book over and over!
5. Favorite Movie(s) - "My Fair Lady" I love any movie with Audrey Hepburn, but this is my favorite.
6. Favorite Piece of Furniture in my House - my $25 yard sale comfy chair! Hubs was not thrilled when I came home, filled with excitement, and begged him for the chair. Finally he relented, and I drove back to the yard sale, holding my breath, hoping that someone else didn't snatch it up. And it it was my lucky day!
7. Favorite Baby Product - BumGenius All-In-One Cloth Diapers I would have never in a million years thought that I would ever use cloth diapers. I mean, disposables are so handy, right? Well, I started doing research on cloth when Avery was about 9 months old and decided that I was sick of constantly running to the store to buy more diapers. Besides being very easy to wash and dry, the cloth diapers are environmentally-friendly and have saved us a lot of $. I wouldn't use them if they weren't super-easy to live with! 8. Favorite Household Tip - Homemade Febreze While I love the real thing, I've found that Febreze Fabric Freshener is expensive and a bottle doesn't last very long. So I found a recipe for making my own and it couldn't be more simple - just mix 2 cups water and 1 cup fabric softener. I spray it on everything!
Here are a few more holiday decorations around the house...
I made the wreath (below) a few years ago using square pieces of foam, moss, and silk flowers. I have it hanging in the dining room with the glitter snowflakes hanging from the curtain rod in front of it. Here is the foyer with the staircase... A closeup of the ladder I hung from the ceiling. I bought it at a sale and it's fun to decorate it according to the seasons. I love the oversized red bells my mom gave me... Outdoor decorating... Now I just need to go shopping for last-minute gifts, wrap a bunch of presents, and get ready for the Christmas parties!
There's just nothing like family, and I am so thankful for mine! My mom's side of the family is from Ohio, so we go out to visit every now and then. In my mom's immediate family there were 10 girls (yes, 10!) and 1 boy (can you even imagine??). You should hear the noise when all the sisters are in the same room. Unbelievable.
I have lots and lots of cousins. Some I see whenever I visit, and some I haven't seen for 15 or more years. A few days ago I got to hang out with my cousin Miriam and her 4 sisters, and we had such a good time catching up!
We stayed at Miriam's house, which is just so yummy!! There's just no other way to describe it. It's the type of house where you want to just curl up in the family room next to the fire place, wrap up in a blanket, read a magazine, and never want to leave! So homey and inviting!
Here is Miriam, her husband Adam, and their adorable kids...