Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A few mini-makeovers



I worked on a few little projects this week that I thought I'd share. Here is a lamp I bought from HomeGoods a while ago. I LOVE the base but thought the shade needed a little something. This is a photo from Christmas...



I wrote the wording onto the shade using a Sharpie paint pen (my favorite kind). I printed out the wording I wanted to use, then traced the lettering onto the shade using carbon paper. Then I painted over the tracing with the paint pen. It is a few of the lyrics from the song "The love of God".





Yard sale season is upon us, and I am LOVING it! Not only does it give me a few hours of "me" time on a Saturday morning, I also usually get to hang out with my sister-in-law/yard sale sidekick Andrea, while scoring some great deals! Awesome.

I bought this bench for $1 at a yard sale on Saturday. We needed a little bench for the kitchen and this was the exact shape that I've been looking for.



After a coat of white primer spray paint (I almost always use Rustoleum Ultra 2X Coverage - it is the BEST), then several coats of blue spray paint (Krylon in "Blue Ocean Breeze"). I also sanded the edges with a sanding block to bring out the white color underneath.


I was trying to get some photos of the bench but my littlest thought she should model for me. So there you go.




It was SO fun to run into a blogger friend at a yard sale last weekend. It was the first time we met, and I was thrilled to be able to give her a hug in person! Her name is Clarita and you can find her here. I promise, you will love her as much as I do.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I still smile when I think of meeting you at the yard sale! I was in the car with my sisters and I got all excited because ohmygoodness it one of my favorite blogger friends!! :) So so fun! And funny that we should meet at a yard sale.... it shows the comradie we share with second-hand treasures! :)

    And I LOVE the lampshade! The font is beautiful, and that is a favorite hymn of mine. What a great idea! And the bench is perfect. What a transformation!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lamp! You are always so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What font is that on that beautiful lamp??! That is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love you my sweet, creative friend!!
    here's to deals!!
    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. PLEASE COME BUY MY, (OUR) JUNK/TREASURES NEXT FRIDAY FROM 1-7!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness!
    I am loving that lamp!
    did you freehand it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lamp is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with us how you made it. I just sat down in frustration after trying to figure out how to get a giant calligraphy e on a piece of salvage tin I have, and I found this blog & everything you create is so amazing and inspiring! The world needs more Christian art like this! Would I need photoshop to make my own large stencils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I don't actually use Photoshop - only Microsoft Publisher or Word.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the reply!! How do you print the font large enough to trace onto anything? -Melissa

      Delete
    3. I print the lettering from Publisher or Word and change the size of the lettering by typing it into the section where it has the font size listed. I hope this makes sense!

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your comments! ~Aimee

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...