Saturday, October 4, 2008

It Must Be Fall


The air is getting cooler, the leaves are falling, and it puts me in the mood to bring out my domestic side and do some cooking!

I made some old fashioned chicken corn noodle soup this week and it's delicious! I canned about 12 quarts - it's so handy to have on hand for a quick meal!

Here's the recipe I used...

PA Dutch Chicken Corn Noodle Soup

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
2 large carrots
2 medium onions
3 celery ribs
1 bunch fresh parsley or 1/8 cup dried parsley
12 ounces frozen corn
1/2 (6 ounce) package wide egg noodles
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Rinse chicken and place in large pot and cover with water.
2. Add salt.
3. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Slice celery and carrots and chop the onions and parsley.
5. Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
6. Add celery, carrots, corn and onion.
7. Remove chicken meat from bone. Discard bones and skin and add meat to the pot.
8. Bring back to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Add egg noodles and chopped parsley.
10. Bring back to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
11. Pour soup into canning jars and put lids on them.
12. Place jars in canner and fill with water to the top of the jars. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 hours. Let stand to cool.

I tripled the recipe and it made about a dozen quarts. You could also freeze the soup instead of canning it, if you prefer. It's super time-consuming but so worth it!!


And it's time to make grape juice too! I imagine that heaven will smell just about like my kitchen did while I was making it!

Here's the link to the recipe I had posted last year. You MUST try it.

3 comments:

  1. I was getting ready to ask you for the recipe for the grape juice...thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so impressed. I have never canned, but your soup and grape juice look so wonderful. I'm either going to have to come visit you or try it myself sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Aimee!
    I am a friend of Janelle Stoltzfus' and I enjoy looking at your blog from time to time. You are living in the town that i consider to be the sweetest spot in the world, as I grew up there!
    In reading your blog, i thought you might enjoy my mom's little corner of the blog kingdom, www.justalittlesomethingforyou.blogspot.com
    Like you, she loves decorating, creating and making people's lives happier.
    You have a beautiful home, adorable daughter and I am supremely impressed you have the ability and time to can and make Chicken Corn Soup from scratch!!
    Warmly,
    Jeane` Miller

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your comments! ~Aimee

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...